Electrical problem blamed for Woodlake daycare fire - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Electrical problem blamed for Woodlake daycare fire


A morning fire damages the Woodlake Child Development Center in the 1400 block of Meyer Cove Drive. 

Now, caregivers are trying to accommodate about 100 children.

The emergency call came in around 6:30 a.m.

Employees at the child development center say when they came to work this morning they saw smoke coming out of the roof.

A melted child's chair shows how hot it got inside the building.

"We actually heard the fire trucks this morning," says Kathy Petersen, a parent.

As Petersen got her daughter Haylen ready for class, she got a call that their child care center was on fire.

The battalion chief says there was a lot of smoke.

But it happened before the doors were open, so nobody was inside.

When crews finally got into the building they found the fire in a back room. One parent tells us she believes this was her child's classroom.

Investigators say this is an accident and an electrical malfunction from an ventilation fan sparked the flames.

"My first immediate reaction was that someone may be hurt or that the kids were safe and that they're out of there," says Petersen.

Many parents say there are grateful it didn't happen during the day.

Now teachers will have to reorganize about 100 children whose ages range from infancy to about four years old.

"I feel very safe here.  The kids are always very safe," says Petersen.

The owner of the child development center says it will stay open, but it will be in another building.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly