RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - More than a dozen people are without a home tonight after a nasty fire ripped through a South Side trailer park.
This happened at the Rudd Trailer Park off Jeff Davis Highway in Richmond.
Firefighters are calling this an electrical fire. They say it looks like the family living inside the trailer where this started overloaded a circuit by plugging in several appliances into each other.
Investigators say that's a common mistake during hot summer days like today.
The trailer where this fire started is a total loss. It's hard to recognize anything left inside the charred shell that used to be home for nine people.
Now the Red Cross is taking care of them as well as the seven people that lived in this trailer next door. It too was damaged.
Neighbors say the family that lives here wasn't home when this fire broke out around 8 o'clock Sunday morning. Fortunately firefighters say no one was injured.
Clinton Woody lives right next door to the trailer that caught fire.
"The smoke was coming out the whole trailer," said Woody.
He says his wife was panicking. She was afraid the fire could spread to their home.
"My wife was crying," he said. "The good Lord was there. The good Lord was there. I think a strong wind might have pushed it that way."
Lt. Robbie Hagaman of the Richmond Fire Department says fires like this become all too common in the summer. He says many people do what's called "daisy chaining".
"That's just basically plugging one thing into another, into another, into another to get current to more than one appliance," said Hagaman. "That's absolutely not allowed. Not only is it not allowed, it's just not safe."
The trailers in this park are densely packed. Many people say they're thankful more homes weren't destroyed.
"I'm glad it's over with," Woody said. "I'm glad nothing happen to nobody."
Firefighters say you should never plug a power strip into another power strip. You should only use one appliance per outlet.
Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
Fire investigators have determined a fire at south side house trailer was electrical in nature, possibly due to an overloaded outlet or circuit.
Just after 8:00 a.m. Sunday, firefighters were called to the 2900 block of Jefferson Davis Highway. Lt. Robert Hagaman with Richmond Fire tells us the trailer was fully engulfed when crews arrived on scene.
The fire took about 20 minutes to get under control. We're told everyone inside managed to escape and no one was injured, but there was some damage to an adjacent trailer.
The Greater Richmond Chapter of the American Red Cross is now assisting 5 adults and 11 children, displaced by the fire. We're told 9 of those people were in the home that caught fire, while 7 others were in the adjacent trailer.