VCU Press Release:
Automobile traffic will be heavier than normal at Virginia Commonwealth University's Monroe Park Campus between June 5 and June 16 as area high schools hold graduation ceremonies at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.
VCU Police, VCU Parking and Transportation and the City of Richmond Police Department have established a regional traffic plan and added staffing to minimize delays.
"Before and after these graduation ceremonies, we anticipate a great deal of traffic in the vicinity of the Siegel Center," said VCU Police Capt. Mike O'Berry. "Use alternate routes if possible. If you are attending a graduation ceremony, leave early to allow extra time for traffic and parking. We ask drivers to be courteous and patient."
Attendees will park primarily in the West Broad Street Parking Deck at 1111 W. Broad St. and at the Bowe Street Parking Deck at 601 Bowe St.
More than 20 public high schools from Chesterfield, Hanover, Henrico and New Kent counties, a private school and a technical school will hold graduation ceremonies at the Siegel Center, which is located at 1200 W. Broad St. In the event of rain, Louisa County High School also will hold its graduation ceremony at the Siegel Center.
Attendance at most of the ceremonies is expected to range from 2,500 to more than 6,000. Those planning to attend ceremonies are advised to arrive early and plan for the delays.
Tuesday, June 5
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., St. Gertrude High School
Wednesday, June 6
- 10 a.m. – noon, Monacan High School
- 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., Clover Hill High School
- 7 p.m. – 9 p.m., Thomas Dale High School
Thursday, June 7
- 10 a.m. – noon, Cosby High School
- 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., Midlothian High School
- 7 p.m. – 9 p.m., James River High School
Friday, June 8
- 10 a.m. – noon, Meadowbrook High School
- 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., L.C. Bird High School
- 7 p.m. – 9 p.m., Community High School
Saturday, June 9
- 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., New Kent High School
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m., Louisa County High School (in the event of inclement weather)
Monday, June 11
- 10 a.m. – noon, Matoaca High School
- 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., Manchester High School
Tuesday, June 12
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Varina High School
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., Highland Springs High School
- 7 p.m. – 9 p.m., Douglas Freeman High School
Wednesday, June 13
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Deep Run High School
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., Hermitage High School
- 7 p.m. – 9 p.m., J.R. Tucker High School
Thursday, June 14
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Henrico High School
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., Mills Godwin High School
Friday, June 15
- 2 p.m. – 4 p.m., ECPI
Saturday, June 18