HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - A family of four which includes three children are without a home after a fire early Monday morning at an apartment complex.
Crews got the call around 1:00 a.m. for the 2400 block of North 21st Street.
Firefighters say they saw flames and smoke coming from this apartment which is a part of the Townsend Square Townhomes.
The people who live here say they woke up to the home filling with smoke. Investigators found that the fire started after food was left on the stove.
Everyone was able to get out before firefighters arrived.
It only took a few minutes to bring the flames under control. Only one apartment is damaged.
Investigators say the Red Cross is helping the family.
Firefighters say they did not hear a smoke detector. Luckily nobody was injured.
Firefighters want people to remember to check your smoke detectors regularly and change your battery.