Kickers get two in extra time to beat Wilmington

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - The Richmond Kickers claimed their first home win of the season Saturday night, downing the Wilmington Hammerheads 3-1 in dramatic fashion.  Rallying back from a one goal deficit, Kickers midfielder David Bulow converted a second half penalty to level the score before forward Christopher Agorsor registered back to back goals seconds from the full-time whistle to earn his side a necessary three points.

Last gasp heroics saw 2,346 fans on their feet as Agorsor saved the Kickers from a certain fifth consecutive draw with a pair of stoppage time goals.  First, Sascha Gorres played a long ball from midfield finding an awaiting Matthew Delicâte deep on the right wing.  His header across the goalmouth curled just outside the far post and nearly crossed the end line before midfielder Ryan Heins knocked it back into the mix and into the path of the Kickers fleet-footed forward who nodded it home from close range.

Not satisfied with the one goal lead, the Kickers newcomer tallied his second goal of the night in the third minute of injury time.  Ross MacKenzie's distance pass sprung Agorsor free on a breakaway and his low shot from eight yards beat the diving Wilmington goalkeeper.

The tables were turned earlier in the night as the Hammerheads nabbed the lead in the 18th minute.  Despite the early pressure in Wilmington territory, it was the Hammerheads that struck first when forward Yahaya Musa fed the ball through to Andriy Budnyy in the 18th minute.  The dangerous forward slotted a low ball past the diving Kickers veteran goalkeeper and just inside the far post.

The Kickers answered back with a barrage of shots, starting when Luke Vercollone served the ball into a crowded box in the 21st minute.  He located his target at the top of the box but a heavily marked Delicâte saw his diving header diverted skyward.

Vercollone was hard at work again seconds later when he received a short corner from Stanley Nyazamba on the right flank.  His well-placed inswinger found Edson Elcock in scoring position once again, but his header sailed just wide of the near post.

Later, the Kickers were denied their best chance of the half in the 34th minute.  William Yomby connected on Nyazamba's corner but was denied by Wilmington defender Tom Parratt who held the Kickers scoreless with his gallant save off the line.

Despite leading the opposition in shots on goal, it was not until the 69th minute that the Kickers could bring the scoreline level.  When Görres drew a foul in the box, it was Bulow who coolly stepped up to the spot and calmly buried the ball into the right corner.

With the score level once again, the Hammerheads saw their best opportunity of the half to re-claim the lead denied in the 84th minute when forward Cory Hertzog beat his defender down the right flank and fired from the top of the box but Kickers veteran goalkeeper Ronnie Pascale kept him at bay.

The Richmond Kickers host D.C. United of Major League Soccer,for the first time in four years, at Richmond City Stadium in the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup next Tuesday, May 29 at 7:00 p.m