RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - The death of a Chesterfield student has inspired legislation that is now about to become law.
Governor Bob McDonnell is expected to sign in a new law Thursday that will require all schools in Virginia to have an epipen on campus starting this fall.
This bill is a direct response to the death of 7-year-old Ammaria Johnson.
She's the Chesterfield student that died back in January after eating a peanut another child gave her on the playground at Hopkins Elementary School. She had a severe peanut allergy and died.
This new, bipartisan law will allow a school nurse or employee to use an epipen on a student if they think they're suffering from a reaction.
This law passed both the House and Senate unanimously. Governor Bob McDonnell is scheduled to sign the bill into law at Binford Middle School in the Fan, Thursday morning.