New details on father and son deaths, funeral today

(L) Joseph Jones (R) Perry Jones
(L) Joseph Jones (R) Perry Jones

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A search warrant reveals an elderly woman admitted to police she shot her husband to death and strangled her disabled son.

71-year-old Joseph Jones and 51-year-old Perry Jones were laid to rest today. Our camera wasn't allowed inside the service but we spoke with several mourners who'd rather focus on pleasant memories than the disturbing details in court documents.

The search warrant for the Jones' home lists what police recovered including guns and leather belts.

Hundreds pay respects to a father and son killed just one day apart in a crime that shocked this Chesterfield community. The medical examiner's office said Joseph Jones died of gunshot wounds to his torso and neck. His developmentally disabled and deaf son, Perry Jones, died of asphyxia due to strangulation.

"Joseph was a good guy. He was faithful to his wife and his kids and he held his job," said second cousin, Roosevelt Lewis.

Joseph Jones retired from Allied/Honeywell after 38 years. James Patterson worked with him.

"His demeanor was the same all the time, very pleasant person," said Patterson.

A search warrant unveils partly what Estelle Jones told police happened inside what friends and family described as a loving home on River Road.

That court document states the wife and mother admitted to a 911 dispatcher last Thursday she shot her husband and choked her son to death with a belt.

"She was taking care of him in all ways she could. She loved her son and anything could have happened," said Lewis.

We learned in court, Joseph Jones was killed the day before his son. Lewis said he last saw his cousin Joseph about an hour before his death.

"Nobody was expecting this," he said.

According to the search warrant, police recovered two leather belts and a pillow from the son's room also two revolvers from another room and a bullet fragment from underneath a victim on the living room floor.

Joseph Jones served as deacon for about five years at Oak Grove Baptist Church. The associate pastor said they'll miss his hugs and kisses.

"His seat is going to be empty, but he's still going to live on in our hearts," said Eliza Bailey.

Friends and relatives said the Jones' were a private family and never spoke of problems within the household.

Police haven't talked about a motive in this case.

We expect to find out more when Estelle Jones goes back to court in July.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.