Squirrels need extra innings, but grab first win of 2012

New Britain, CT (WWBT)- The Flying Squirrels (1-3) needed 12 innings, but claimed their first win of the year, 3-1, over the New Britain Rock Cats (3-1) at New Britain Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The ballgame stayed deadlocked, 1-1, from the seventh inning to the top of the 12th, when the Squirrels mounted the game-winning rally. It came against left-hander Blake Martin, as Juan Perez got Richmond started with a one-out single to left field. Johnny Monell followed with a single to right field, and the two runners moved up on a wild-pitch. With a drawn-in infield, Daniel Mayora laced a single back through the middle to plate the decisive run. Gary Brown added a sacrifice-fly to score Monell to pad the lead and the win, 3-1.

For the third consecutive ballgame, the Squirrels jumped on top first. Gary Brown led off the ballgame with a single to right-center field off of right-hander Jason Marquis. He was forced at second by Tommy Joseph, but Wes Hodges roped a double into the left-field corner. Chris Dominguez followed and legged out an infield-single to third base. Joseph scored on the play for a 1-0 lead.

Marquis settled in, and Richmond right-hander Chris Heston was in control from the outset. Making his Double-A debut, Heston turned in five one-hit innings, allowing only a bunt-single to Pedro Florimon. He walked three, struck out one and didn't factor in the decision.

Marquis lasted through the sixth inning, having allowed a lone run on seven hits. He walked none, struck out four and didn't record a decision.

The Rock Cats pulled even with a run in the seventh inning. Left-hander Ari Ronick had come on for Heston and worked a scoreless sixth inning. However, he found trouble in the seventh as Nate Hanson led off with a single. Ronick walked the next two batters to load the bases with nobody out. Right-hander Edwin Quirarte was summoned and he induced a double-play ball from Chris Collabello. However, Hanson scored to tie the game, 1-1. Quirarte escaped the inning with no further damage.

Left-hander Andrew Albers followed Marquis and was terrific over three scoreless innings. He conceded just two hits and recorded three strikeouts. Right-hander Lester Oliveros worked two innings of relief before turning it over to Martin. Martin (0-1) took the loss for the Rock Cats.

Right-hander Brett Bochy made his Squirrels' debut and worked an impressive 2.1 scoreless innings. He allowed no hits, walked one and struck out none. Left-hander Chris Gloor (1-0) worked the 11th inning and earned his first Double-A win. Right-hander Daryl Maday worked a perfect 12th inning to preserve the win and earn his first save of the year.

The Squirrels will travel back to Richmond, VA to enjoy an off day on Easter Sunday. They will head to Bowie, MD on Monday to open a three-game road series with the Bowie Baysox.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.