Final moments for Hanover twins revealed

Caroline and Madison King
Caroline and Madison King

HANOVER, VA (WWBT) - The medical examiner's office has revealed new information about the final moments for twin girls who died at the hands of their father.

Caroline King died from a cut to her neck, while her twin sister, Madison, died from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the medical examiner. Their mother, Kristi Hooper, found their bodies at a Mechanicsville home on Wynbrook Lane. She says both were impacted by the deadly fumes, but was told they didn't suffer.

"Madison had superficial wounds to her neck and Caroline had a major artery hit in her neck, but she was probably out and asleep when that happened," said Hooper. Hooper made the difficult call to the medical examiner's office last week.

"Even if it meant me suffering more I wanted to know what they went through," said Hooper.

Hooper estranged husband, Robert King, pumped exhaust from his van into the house. He took his own life also bleeding out from a cut to his neck.

Hooper and King had been separated since last September.

"There was something wrong with him mentally. It's not clear if he quit or got laid off," said Hooper. She says King wanted full custody of the girls, plus spousal and child support. "He quit paying the mortgage on the house and was fighting me tooth and nail and it wasn't going his way."

Four months later, all three were dead. Hooper is still struggling with finding the bodies. "I feel like during the day, I'm a robot and when I go to sleep is when get upset," she said.

Neighbors said it's still difficult to walk and drive by the house. The memorial flowers are gone replaced by angels on the boarded up windows. Hooper said her aunt and cousin painted the angels but she can't bring herself to return to the house.

"I don't want to go back there. (Ever?) Ever," said Hooper.

Hooper said she's trying to be strong for her 14-year-old son from a different marriage.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.