RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Three people are displaced after an early morning house fire destroyed their home.
The fire started around 3:00 Wednesday morning at a home in the 200 block of Bailey Ave. on city's east side. Fire crews originally responded to a smoke alarm.
When crews arrived, they found smoke and flames in the attic.
Fire crews stayed on scene for several hours making sure everything was under control.
Three people were inside the home at the time of the blaze.
Although all three escaped the fire unharmed, they are now being helped by the Red Cross.
Firefighters say if the people inside did not have a smoke detector, the outcome could have been much worse. Firefighters encourage people to regularly check the batteries in their detectors.