The smoking ban outlawed smoking in restaurants more than a year ago, unless they have a separate smoking room. But smoking was already outlawed in restaurant kitchens because that hand to mouth contact can spread bacteria. An inspector caught one kitchen worker in the act, as you see in this Restaurant Report.
It was one of 5 critical violations at the King of Szechuan, 3991 Glenside Drive in Henrico. The inspection report says an employee was smoking in the kitchen. The problem was corrected: the cigarette was discarded and the worker washed their hands. Violations were corrected during the inspection. We asked to interview the manager about it, but didn't hear back.
Next on the list, the Bank at 1005 East Main Street in Richmond, which had 4 critical violations, including that the meat slicer was soiled to sight and touch. Problems were taken care of while the inspector was still on site. We left a message for the manager, but didn't get a call back. In November, Richmond Bizsense reported that the Bank was remodeled and got a new menu.
Finally, the American Diner at 11001 Midlothian Turnpike in Chesterfield had 4 critical violations. The report says an employee failed to wash their hands before preparing food, and that there were some fruit flies. Violations were addressed right away. The report says the diner is treated for pests every month.
Come on in to this weeks's NBC12 Hall of Fame Award winner. This café, called Come On In, inside the Marshall Building at 900 East Marshall Street in Richmond, has aced five of it's last seven state health inspections and hasn't had a critical in two years.
NBC12's Restaurant Report airs each Thursday night at 11 p.m. and features the health inspection results from restaurants in Richmond, Hanover, Henrico and Chesterfield. Learn more about the Restaurant Report.More >>
NBC12's Restaurant Report airs each Thursday night at 11 p.m. and features the health inspection results from restaurants in Richmond, Hanover, Henrico and Chesterfield. More >>