Man wants answers eight months after stepson's death

Gordon "GT" Ragland
Gordon "GT" Ragland

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A local man wants to know why eight months has passed with no resolution in the shooting death of his stepson.

Gordon Ragland died last May after an argument with his ex-girlfriend. His stepfather, Rob Farmer, feels left in the dark.

Ragland, who went by GT, was shot in the chest on Buck Rub Drive. The medical examiner ruled it a homicide, but no one's been charged.

"It was either a crime or there wasn't a crime," said Farmer.

Ragland's ex-girlfriend has said her neighbor was defending her and himself.

"I just don't know you can shoot somebody down in the street, walk back in your house and not be held accountable," said Farmer.

The woman said Ragland couldn't handle their break-up and kicked in her door during an argument.

Farmer said Ragland grabbed her cell phone and went out to the street while she ran next door. Moments later, he said her neighbor came out with a gun and took matters into his own hands instead of calling police first.

"GT was shot. My understanding is GT did not get close enough to attack the man or put his hands on him, yet he was shot and killed," said Farmer.

Farmer said since then he's called the Chesterfield detective once a month.

He's also been in touch with the prosecutor. So have we. We're told the Commonwealth had hoped to have a resolution by now, but some undisclosed issues came up that delayed the case.

"There seems to be some question about a witness who gave a statement at the scene, but now hasn't come forward," said Farmer.

We returned to Buck Rub Drive. Ragland's ex wasn't home. Her neighbor wouldn't answer the door.

The prosecutor said they too want closure.

Farmer said Ragland, who had his own struggles, didn't deserve what he got and eight months is too long to wait for an answer.

"All I know is I continue to know he's not around and it's frustrating," said Farmer.

Farmer said a grand jury had no recommendation in early December. The Chesterfield prosecutor couldn't confirm whether a grand jury met, but said a resolution could come by the first of March.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.