UPDATE: Man found in James River identified

UPDATE: 2:01 p.m. 1/7/12 --

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Police in Richmond have released the identity of the man found inside a car pulled from the James River Friday afternoon.

According to police, 43-year-old Freddie Dabney III, from Midlothian, died after his vehicle entered the James River from Wharf Street at approximately 10:44 a.m. Friday.

Dabney's Toyota Corolla was pulled from the water at 4:00 p.m.

Police say their investigation is ongoing, but do not currently suspect foul play. The Medical Examiner will determine cause of death.

If you know anything about this incident, you're asked to call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000. You will remain anonymous.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Dive crews pulled a car from the James River just before 4:30 p.m. Friday afternoon. The body of an adult male was inside.

Dive crews were called to the scene near Dock and Pear streets just after 11:00 a.m. Friday after reports that a vehicle was seen in the water.

Richmond Police is now handling the investigation.

A dramatic scene, as rescue crews watch and wait and dozens of onlookers surround the area. A car is slowly plucked out of the James river.... More than 5 hours after it first hit the water.

It all began just before 11 this morning. Police get a call that a car is in the James River near Rockets Landing.

Carmelita Carr was sitting in her car near the river, when a rescue member knocked on her window. "And he asked if he saw a car go off into the river."

She didn't take notice of that. But she did notice a car drive by her, with an older gentleman inside, and not come back. She immediately hoped that car was not the car in the water.

"Oh my God, was it that guy? That was the only guy that I saw go down this road," she adds.

She told me--- after watching the car hang on by cables, it was in fact, that car. "The memory. I saw his face."

Dive crews had quite a challenging afternoon.

"We had the Richmond Dive Team in the water just after 11 this morning, searching for the car, locating the car, putting a buoy on the car, and securing the car with a cable. That took over 3 and a half hours," says Gene Lepley with the Richmond Police Department.

In fact -- a dive member had to be helped out of the water. He was simply tired and should be okay. The Henrico Dive Team took over after that.

During the intense search-- onlookers prayed and hoped for the best. But around 4:30 this afternoon--- when the car was finally pulled from the water--- the worst fears of many were true: A man dead inside and a family grieving tonight.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.