Hanover: Classmate Murder Case - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Hanover: Classmate Murder Case

HANOVER, VA (WWBT) - The three Hanover County teens charged in connection to the shooting death of a classmate appeared in court Thursday afternoon. A judge denied bond for the alleged triggerman, 17-year-old Franklin Robertson.

18-year-old Michael Thompson and 17-year-old Laquan Tullis are charged with accessory after the fact in the murder of Jyreffe Clark.

For the first time, the defense for the alleged triggerman painted a picture of what they say led up to the murder.

Franklin Robertson's attorney says his client and the other three teens were making a music video.

A 9mm gun was being used as a prop -- when it went off. The victim was hit in the head.

"They went to my clients house to make a music video. The stepfather keeps a loaded gun in the house and they wanted to use it in a video," said John Luxton.

Luxton represents the alleged triggerman. He says the teens, who were all friends and students at Lee Davis High School, thought they unloaded the gun.

"The gun was given to my client and he never handled a gun and they're all excited with the music going and it accidentally goes off," he added.

The shooting happened last month.

After the shot was fired police say the teens cleaned up the blood and dumped Clark's body on a nearby property.

"It doesn't make any sense but these are 17-year-olds who are not thinking -- scared to death. He used juvenile judgement after the fact," said Luxton.

The alleged triggerman is described as a good student who worked and has never been in trouble with the law.

Thompson's parents describe him as a good kid with good grades.

Michael Thompson is the only teen charged in the case who's out on bond.

Clarks mother, Patricia Sands, says she wants justice. 

"To drag his body and throw him up against the fence like a piece of paper, that's what I have a problem with. You left him there for more than 10 hours -- that's cruel," said Sands.

In court, the judge supported a motion to combine all three cases - so witnesses will only have to testify once.

The three teens are due back in court in March.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly