Man accused of Christmas eve crime spree in custody

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) –  Jamal Clemons, 27, was arrested around 4:30 p.m. Monday in the 2800 block of Bethel Street after being on the run for two days.

Clemons was wanted in the Christmas Eve double homicide homicide, robbery and kidnapping in Church Hill after two people were shot.  He then stole a car with a 2-year-old in the backseat, according to police.

Late Sunday, police released the names of the two murder victims: Robin Clapp and Eddie Lee Bowmer.   Ironically enough, Bowmer is someone NBC12 has spoken to about violence in his Church Hill neighborhood.

In July of last year a man was gunned down in the 700 block of North 35th Street, which is the same block where murder and kidnapping suspect Jamal Clemons lives.

At the time NBC12's Laura Geller sat down with Eddie Lee Bowmer, he had only lived on the next block for a few months.

"It's in that block," he told Geller.  "It's uncanny that we're this close and it doesn't happen up here."

But it did happen Saturday night, when Bowmer and Robin Clapp were gunned down inside his home where he had lamented the violence that ultimately claimed his life.

"It's very sad, to me it is," he said.  "I mean, it's human life. It seems like a lot of people just don't have a respect for human life."

Police think the motive in the shootings was robbery.  Then they said Clemons stole and fled in a car, where two-year-old Kaiden had been left in the back seat.  His life was hanging in the balance.

"It was the number one priority in the Richmond metro area to locate Kaiden and that's exactly what happened," said Richmond Police Major Steve Drew.

Only NBC12 cameras were rolling on a break in the case just after midnight Sunday.

Police found the stolen SUV with Kaiden inside way up in an old Jewish cemetery on Jennie Scher Road.  K-9s tracked Clemons' scent, heading east toward the Henrico line.

At the same time EMS personnel checked out Kaiden, who was brought to his mother at police headquarters. You can imagine it was an emotional reunion as for seven hours Saturday night she didn't know where her son was or whether or not he was even alive.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.