$50,000 Bond set for Richmond road rage suspect

Christopher Sessoms
Christopher Sessoms

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Disgusting! That's the word used by a woman who sat in court with the family of the victim in a deadly road rage case.

Today, a judge set $50,000 bond for suspected driver, Christopher Sessoms. The prosecution put up a fight to keep Sessoms behind bars arguing the 40-year-old is a flight risk. But that won't be the case.

Sessoms' mom told the judge she and her husband would watch over their son in North Carolina until his trial in May.

Sessoms' parents quietly left court. Moments earlier, his mother testified to get her son out of jail.

"She was crying. You saw it in court," said Sessoms' attorney, Bill Linka.

Sessoms is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the September death of 24-year-old Christopher Fisher.

Prosecutor Tracy Thorne-Begland said Fisher was on his way to work in Chesterfield when Sessoms, driving a red pickup at speeds reaching 90 miles per hour, forced him off I-195.

Fisher's car flew into a concrete abutment underneath the Douglasdale bridge. Linka said neither vehicle made contact. Linka said evidence shows his client left the scene, but kept in touch with Richmond police.

Over the course of several days, Thorne-Begland said Sessoms lied to police, and when first asked to return to Richmond, said he was on vacation.

Thorne-Begland said a fugitive task force traced his cell phone to Georgia and Tennessee before he was arrested in North Carolina with his fiancee, Charity Dees, the suspected passenger.

"This is one of those things that everybody needs to wait and hear what the evidence is, and when the evidence comes out, it's a different situation than has been portrayed in the press since this happened," said Linka.

Sessoms' mother said she and her husband can keep an eye on their son in Jacksonville, North Carolina.

When I asked the Fisher family about seeing Sessoms in court, one woman replied, it was disgusting.

They declined to say any further.

"I'm sure the family of Mr. Fisher thinks my comments are shallow, but everybody's thoughts and prayers are for him," said Linka.

Dees has a March court date in Richmond for a felony hit and run charge.

Last month, she pleaded guilty to a drug charge in North Carolina and is now on two years probation.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.