Security alert at VUU, all clear given after 30 minute search

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A campus scare at Virginia Union University after a report of suspicious people who may have had a gun!

Students and faculty were asked to stay put until the all clear. That came less than thirty minutes after the first of three safety alerts.

Some students said they didn't even know about the messages until it was all over. One said security on campus is up to par, while another thinks it needs to be tighter.

Shocking? No. Frightening? Yes, for graduating senior, Brittany Rogers.

"It scares me a little bit," said Rogers.

Not so much for freshman Darren Hayes.

"I feel safe," said Hayes.

"No one actually saw a gun, but there was a gesture," said University Senior Vice President Dr. Joseph Johnson.

The first safety alert went out at 1:01 P.M. for suspicious people believed to have a weapon. Ten minutes later, a second alert.

"I also heard we were on lockdown. They were trying to protect us," said Hayes.

Students and faculty were asked to stay put in their rooms and offices.

The report came from a woman who told campus police she saw suspicious people, possibly with a gun, not on campus but on Cecil Road behind the university.

With vague descriptions, VUU police searched the campus with Richmond officers.

At 1:27, a third message, and the campus returned to normal operations.

VUU's scare comes after two other security alerts on Virginia college campuses this year, including one just last weekend at VCU where two people, including a student, were assaulted.

The other was at Virginia Tech in August for a report of a man with a gun.

Rogers is critical of VUU security.

"I don't think it's tight enough I don't because I feel anybody can get on campus," said Rogers.

Dr. Johnson, declined an on camera interview, but said VUU campus police responded extremely well in this case.

Students were asked to call university police should they see any suspicious behavior.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.