Robert's father releases new statement - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Robert's father releases new statement

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - New information about a boy rescued from the woods in Hanover. Robert Wood Junior will stay in the hospital a little longer. His father just released a new statement about his son and the nearly week long search for him. 

I spoke with Robert's cousin by phone. She says Robert has a hole in his esophagus close to his chest. It's healing. They're trying to feed him soft, bland foods until he gets better. He could be released Thursday.

Robert's father, Robbie Wood, released a statement late Tuesday saying Robert is doing well, he's happy and has even spoken a few words which he says is rare.

Robert vanished during a family outing just over a week ago. He was found after a search that lasted nearly six days.

In his statement, Robbie Wood said he'd like to clear up some things said about him in a negative light.

This past Sunday, Robert's maternal grandmother, Norma Jean Williams, criticized Robert's dad for taking the 9-year-old to the park.

Williams said everyone who's been around Robert knows he will dart away and that you have to watch him constantly.

"There was anger at the fact his dad knew this anger the fact his dad was told never to take him in the parks," said Williams.

Robbie Wood said he takes Robert and his little brother to the North Anna Battlefield Park all the time.

That because the park isn't crowded he can watch them better without distractions. He says he's never been told not to take them there or any other park.

The search for Robert involved 6,000 people. Robert's father again extended his thanks to all who successfully recovered his son.

Statement form Robbie Wood -

"I would like to again extend my thanks and praise to all who successfully recovered my son.  Not only did I get my son back, but I feel that I gained thousands of family members last week.  

Robert is doing well!  He is feeling better. He is happy. He even has spoken a few words which is very rare! I hope to get him home soon. 

I would like to clear up some things that were said about me in a negative light. 

It has not been months since I have seen my boys.  I try to see them every weekend, however, sometimes I am not able to.  It is not my effort that keeps me from them.  I take them to North Anna Battlefield park all the time.  It is a beautiful place that keeps the boys active, and it is not very crowded which takes away a lot of distractions so that I can watch them better.  There are many other parks we go to as well. I have never been told not to take them to that park or any other. 

I am sorry I have not been available for comment, but I have not left the hospital for more than about an hour.  A sick child's bedside is no place for phone calls to reporters.  

Though I do not have a lot of money, I consider myself to be the one of the wealthiest men in the world…My wealth is in my two little boys.  They are they are the world to me, and I hope nobody could possibly think any different. " 

-Robbie Wood

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly