Journalist arrested at Occupy Richmond break-up Sunday night

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Tonight, the disorganized Occupy Richmond group is trying to figure out where to set up shop, after being kicked out of Kanawha Plaza last night by the police department.

Meanwhile, we are learning more from the journalist for a local magazine who was out taking pictures on Sunday night, but arrested doing so. He's now part of the Occupy Richmond movement himself.

Journalist Ian Graham snapped dozens of pictures of the occupy Richmond group being de-occupied Sunday night. He's a photographer for RVA Magazine, a 7 year running quarterly magazine online and in print.

But it's another picture that is becoming pretty iconic-- a picture of Ian arrested, in handcuffs. Ironically we found this picture posted by someone else on the Facebook page of the Richmond Police Department.

Here's what Graham says happened. "I was honestly just surprised they would arrest a member of the press for walking from one sidewalk to another."

Ian says he was between 10th and 9th streets downtown, in a crosswalk. He was charged with trespassing.

You can still see the marks from the cuffs, nearly a day later. "I usually don't have red marks and bumps on my wrists," added Ian.

State law allows journalists to be near scenes like the one on Sunday night, as long as we don't obstruct police.

"I didn't physically block them. I didn't yell at them. I didn't block them from doing anything," he said.

By Monday afternoon -- the story of Ian's night in cuffs hit the RVA Magazine web site.

Then, just a few hours later, that group which Ian is now a part of, gathered on the VCU campus, in the rain, trying to figure out its next move.

Right now, we are learning that the group will be meeting again tomorrow at 6 p.m. to discuss. That will happen at the VCU Compass. We are learning that the group, for now, is not likely going to return to Kanawha Plaza.

Meanwhile, the Richmond Police Department told us to contact the Commonwealth's Attorney office for further comment on Ian's arrest. But several phone calls and emails have not been returned.

Late Monday night, some of the Occupy members were marching up and down Main Street in the Fan.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.