RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) – It is day 2 for protesters of Occupy Richmond and no arrests have been made.
It's been peaceful so far and protesters say the city even provided a few port-a-potties for the group who are planning to spend nights out at Kanawha plaza.
From students to the unemployed and the homeless, several dozen protesters for Occupy Richmond made their presence known in Kanawha plaza - right across from the federal reserve building and central to all the major banks.
"We want to lessen the gap between the top 1percent like the banks behind me and the super rich guys and the rest of the 99 percent middle lower class and we want to increase taxes on these guys and have a redistribution of wealth," said protester, Nolan D.
"Part of the reason why Kanawha Plaza was chosen was in solidarity with people who have been sleeping in the par and on benches and we want to be there and say you can have this space and we're going to occupy it with you," said protester, Stacey Bennett.
Some brought sleeping bags, prepared to spend nights at the plaza. Others who are grateful for the food and water donated - say this is one well organized and peaceful demonstration. They say, the cops so far have left them alone.
"We don't want to stir anything up but we do want to make sure that it's known that we want our voices heard and the system hasn't been protecting us," said Bennett.
It's a smaller gathering during the afternoon hours, but protestors expect more supporters will show like Saturday night where hundreds turned out in Richmond's Monroe Park near the VCU campus and marched to Kanawha plaza.
Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
Doctors at a Baltimore hospital have performed the most extensive penis transplant to date, this one also involving the scrotum and part of the abdominal wall.More >>
State health leaders will release results Monday from a one-year key initiative program addressing the opioid crisis in Virginia.More >>
The proposal is an 80-cent tax per pack, and the money would be used for maintenance of school facilities.More >>
It's our mission every day to bring you news of interest in our community and today that news is our very own Sabrina Squire.More >>
Bush, 93, lost his wife, Barabara just last week. The couple was married for 73 years, longer than any other president and first lady in history.More >>
Outraged parents say preschooler Abdul Dannoui cruelly had his mouth taped shut and regularly had his lunch thrown out by his own teachers.More >>
BREAKING: Murder suspect Travis Reinking is in custody and was arrested in a wooded area, according to Nashville police.More >>
A group of Franklinton basketball players is getting quite a bit of attention for taking a knee as a funeral procession passed by their pickup game Friday, April 20.More >>
Nine people are dead and 16 more are injured after a driver struck pedestrians with a van in Toronto, Canada Monday afternoon.More >>
The family believes the way the judge treated Sandra Twiggs and the night she spent in jail might have played a role in her death. She suffered from asthma and COPD.More >>
Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William have two children, George and Charlotte.More >>
A Hartsville man wasn’t happy when the popular cooler maker YETI decided to cut ties with the National Rifle Association.More >>
Roger Baker had no friends or family to take him to see his wife. When his wife had fallen previously, he had waved strangers down in the street and paid them $10 to help pick her up.More >>