Family safe after fire, pet dies - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Family safe after fire, pet dies

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A Richmond family is safe after a major house fire.

The fire started at a home in the 7100 block of Cherokee Road Sunday.

The family was not at home at the time, but they did come home to find their house on fire, with three pets inside.

A parrot died, but a turtle was rescued. A kitten is still missing.

It took several hours to get the fire under control. The home was a "Cape Cod" — firefighters say that style makes it really tough to fight a fire, because there are a lot of tight spaces for the fire to hide.

A late family member built the house, which is now unlivable.

Firefighters are still looking for the cause of the fire, but they say there was a cake sitting on the table at the home for an upcoming birthday celebration.

The family plans to stay with friends and relatives.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly