UPDATE: One person dead in Chesterfield house fire

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT)- A fire turns deadly at one Chesterfield home Sunday night.

The fire happened in the 1200 block of Evon Avenue just off Robious Road.

At this point investigators do not think this fire is suspicious.

Around 9 p.m. Sunday night, fire crews responded to a 911 call from a neighbor who noticed a lot of smoke coming from the house. Shortly after crews arrived they found a body inside of the home.

We talked with the victim's mother. We are not releasing the victim's name until the Medical Examiners Office completes its report. The mother told us that her son was a caring, generous and hard worker. He will be missed by many.

"Oh God, Oh God. So sad," says Shelby Powers.

The smell of smoldering smoke still lingers in the air and the signs of the deadly night lay charred in front of the Chesterfield home.

"It was a horrible night. It was a horrible night," adds Powers.

Shelby Powers lives across the street from this burned home. She called 911. "I saw the flames and I told my husband look it's on fire! My daughter and her husband tried to see what was going on and knock on the door."

But they couldn't get inside. "We heard this strangle crackling sound and the flames were just tremendous in there," adds Powers.

Inside there is the bedroom of this home, where crews say the fire started and where crews found a dead body, badly burned.

Firefighters later learned --- the smoke detectors in the home were not working.

"Crews did find 2 smoke detectors in the home that the batteries had been taken out of," says Lt. Jason Elmore with the Chesterfield Fire Department.

That's a story Lt. Jason Elmore with the fire department hears all too often. "We can't go back in time but we like to think if there had been working some detectors, he would have gotten out safely."

Friends and family members gathered outside the home this morning. All too upset to talk on camera after this sudden loss of a loved one.

"It was scary and it was so sad to know he passed," says Shelby.

The victim's body is now at the Medical Examiners Office for an autopsy. That could take a couple of days to complete.

Investigators are looking into whether or not the victim, known to be a smoker, was smoking in his bedroom before the fire started.

At this point, there are no funeral arrangements made.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.