2 people suffer carbon monoxide poisoning from generator - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

2 people suffer carbon monoxide poisoning from generator

MECHANICSVILLE, VA (WWBT) - A wake-up call to anyone using a generator to keep the power running in their home. A Hanover couple was hospitalized after fumes from their generator made them sick. 

This couple thought they were playing it safe with the generator set up outside their home. The problem is, the exhaust was spewing into their crawlspace, letting carbon monoxide seep into their home.

Theresa Burton's neighbors are recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning after setting up their generator too close to their home.

"They were definitely woozy," she said. "(They) didn't understand what was going on, couldn't speak, couldn't walk. It was pretty bad."

Burton is also using a generator at her home, but she has hers set up away from her home in a detached garage. She said she might move it even farther away after seeing what happened to her neighbors.

"They didn't even smell it," she said. "They didn't know anything. It had been running all day yesterday. He had got up around 4 o'clock this morning and had actually filled it, not even realize it was still leaking into his house before getting up at 5 and realizing something was wrong."

Willie Jones with Hanover County Fire and EMS said this week, more people are buying and using generators. He's afraid they might not read the instructions -- letting a deadly gas into the house:

"It's a deadly circumstance to have that thing in your house," Jones said. "You can't smell it or see it and it just enters your home and it just fills up. If you don't have a carbon monoxide alarm, there's no way you would know that."

Firefighters say you should set up your generator at least ten feet from your home.

"A lot of people keep it close because it's easier to fill up with gas," Burton said. "It's easier to have control of it. When the storm's going, you don't think about it being so close and it being able to seep it into your house."

A lot of people are setting up generators inside their garage. Firefighters say the exhaust can seep through the walls or ceiling and enter your home. You'll experience flu-like symptoms if you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters say you should also buy a new carbon monoxide detector if your current one is more than five years old. 

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

  • Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

  • The Latest: HHS says families won't be immediately reunited

    The Latest: HHS says families won't be immediately reunited

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:01 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:01:56 GMT
    Thursday, June 21 2018 12:24 AM EDT2018-06-21 04:24:41 GMT
    (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File). FILE - In this Wednesday, June 13, 2018 file photo, Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves 10 Downing Street to attend the weekly session of PMQs at parliament in London. The British government is facing anoth...(AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File). FILE - In this Wednesday, June 13, 2018 file photo, Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves 10 Downing Street to attend the weekly session of PMQs at parliament in London. The British government is facing anoth...
    British Prime Minister Theresa May says the United States is wrong to separate migrant children from their parents, but has rejected calls to cancel President Donald Trump's visit to Britain next month.More >>
    British Prime Minister Theresa May says the United States is wrong to separate migrant children from their parents, but has rejected calls to cancel President Donald Trump's visit to Britain next month.More >>
  • Apartment tenants told to get out by Richmond, due to lack of water

    Apartment tenants told to get out by Richmond, due to lack of water

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:42 PM EDT2018-06-21 03:42:45 GMT
    Residents are being kicked out of the Chateau de Ville apartments by the City of Richmond. (Source: NBC12)Residents are being kicked out of the Chateau de Ville apartments by the City of Richmond. (Source: NBC12)
    Residents are being kicked out of the Chateau de Ville apartments by the City of Richmond. (Source: NBC12)Residents are being kicked out of the Chateau de Ville apartments by the City of Richmond. (Source: NBC12)

    The city is kicking out residents of the Chateau de Ville apartments in South Richmond, because the apartments are deemed unfit to live in - and "The relocation responsibility is that of the property and not the city of Richmond."

    More >>

    The city is kicking out residents of the Chateau de Ville apartments in South Richmond, because the apartments are deemed unfit to live in - and "The relocation responsibility is that of the property and not the city of Richmond."

    More >>
  • FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Less heat, but still storms in the forecast

    FIRST ALERT FORECAST:

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:23 PM EDT2018-06-21 03:23:47 GMT

    Get the latest forecast from the NBC12 First Alert Weather team.

    More >>

    Get the latest forecast from the NBC12 First Alert Weather team.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly