RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Open burning is banned May-September. It's illegal to burn Irene debris. You must take them to your city/county's convenience centers.
City residents can dispose of appliances; bulk and brush refuse items for free by taking them to the East Richmond Road Convenience Center, 3800 E. Richmond Road, or the Southside Transfer Station, 3520 N. Hopkins Road.
We accept yard waste from residents at no charge. However, we ask that it be free of plastic, paper, and other trash. Please remember, the yard waste you bring us will be processed into mulch. Contamination with garbage, plastic, or other materials may prevent us from recycling your yard waste into a usable product.
Due to limited space and the large volumes of material we receive, we will not accept yard waste at our public use areas from commercial customers.
(Click on name for map.)
Convenience Center Locations
Northern Area Convenience Center
- 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. — Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Site is closed on Wednesday and Thursday
3200 Warbro Road, off Genito Road (near Hull Street Road)
Southern Area Convenience Center
- 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. — Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Site is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday
6700 Landfill Drive, off Ironbridge Road (between United Rentals and Riptides Restaurant)
The Convenience Centers are closed on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- Recyclable materials (aluminum, glass, metal containers, mixed paper [junk mail, magazines, catalogs, computer paper and office paper], #1 and #2 narrow neck plastic bottles and cardboard) - Free
- Brush, grass clippings, leaves, etc. - $7 per load
- Tires - $2 each (off rim); $5 each (on rim); $10 each (oversized)
- Residential trash - $7 per load
- $10 each (non-freon), i.e. washer, dryer, stove, hot water heater
- $15 each (freon), i.e. air conditioner, freezer, refrigerator
- Construction and demolition debris - $15 per pickup load
Fees are payable by cash, checks to "Treasurer, Chesterfield County," MasterCard and Visa.
Customer Value Cards (CVCs) will no longer be offered. Cards without expiration dates will be honored until all visits are used.
Some items are not accepted at the convenience centers. These include ammunition, asbestos, stumps and brush over eight inches in diameter, commercial waste and infectious waste.