Blind man killed after hit by 2 cars; guide dog hurt

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -- An elderly blind Richmond man is dead and his guide dog is recovering after the man is hit twice, by two different cars, in the city's Northside Monday night.

It happened in the 1000 block of Bellevue Avenue near Old Brook Road, around 9 p.m. Monday night.

Crash scene markings scattered all over the road are a reminder of the tragic accident here that killed a blind elderly man last night. A man that was a fixture in this community.

That man, Dudley Mines Jr., walked across the street toward home everyday, with his guide dog, Romeo. But on Monday Night, Mines didn't make it home. His dog, Romeo, was hurt pretty bad.

Paula Boone saw it all and realized pretty quickly -- things looked very bad. "I saw the dog and the harness on the dog and I knew who the person was lying in the street."

She, along with others, were back at the scene this morning, as the Richmond Crash Team tried to piece together what happened.

"Not to see him, it will leave a void. It certainly will leave a void," says Boone.

Investigators say both drivers were coming down Old Brook Road and then made a left on Bellevue Avenue. It was pretty dark out here so investigators say neither driver saw the elderly man in the road.

"I was devastated when I saw it. I thought, who would do this? Why would someone hit him?" asks Boone.

The first driver hit Miles stopped, tried to help, and that's when the second driver ran over him. The second driver stopped to help, too. Investigators say Mines was not in the crosswalk when he was hit.

Romeo was taken to the vet with some bad cuts to his face and a fractured right front leg. He's recovering today and now in the care of the SPCA. But, he'll need surgery.

Paula's thoughts are with him, too. "How is the dog going to feel without his owner? It's going to be hard on the dog, too."

The SPCA says they'll help Romeo rehab and then find him a new home.

Investigators are still looking into this crash. I'm told these investigators will now to talk to the Commonwealth's Attorney Office to determine if any charges will be filed.

Miles died at VCU Medical Center. His family is now planning an unexpected funeral.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.