COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA (WWBT) – Five people were forced from their home after a strange odor began to irritate their eyes, face and throat.
Around 11:30 Sunday police say they received a call about a gas leak at a home off Conduit and Huntington Rd.
When firefighters arrived they immediately noticed the irritant and called for Hazmat investigators.
Crews were able to track the source of the problem to a leaky pepper-spray can found in a trash bin.
Firefighters say the residents made a full recovery after exiting the home.