Discarded cigarette sparks Chesterfield house fire - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Discarded cigarette sparks Chesterfield house fire

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) – Investigators say a discarded cigarette is to blame for a house fire Saturday afternoon.

The fire broke out in the 3800 block of Daniels Street, near West Hundred Road.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they discovered heavy flames in the garage, going up to the attic. All the while, a family was inside, unaware of what was happening outside.

"It appears the fire started on the exterior of the house, so the people were inside and had no idea anything was going on," said Chesterfield Fire & EMS Battalion Chief Bobby Lukhard.

Thanks to a neighbor, the three people in the house were able to get out unharmed.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Driver sought in crash that killed three children

    Driver sought in crash that killed three children

    Sunday, March 26 2017 2:11 AM EDT2017-03-26 06:11:41 GMT
    File photoFile photo

    The Mississippi Highway Patrol is looking for a driver who ran away from the scene of a deadly crash in George County. Three children were killed in the crash. Troopers said a green 2003 Kia Optima was heading east on Highway 198, east of Depot Road, shortly before 4 p.m. on Saturday.

    More >>

    The Mississippi Highway Patrol is looking for a driver who ran away from the scene of a deadly crash in George County. Three children were killed in the crash. Troopers said a green 2003 Kia Optima was heading east on Highway 198, east of Depot Road, shortly before 4 p.m. on Saturday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly