Do's and Don'ts of Planning for Your Grandchildren - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Insurance | Printing | Legal | Hiring | Return to Home

The Do's and Don'ts of Planning for Your Grandchildren with Special Needs

Grandparents want the best for their children and grandchildren. They often give gifts while alive, or make provisions for their loved ones after they are deceased. Grandparents who are in a position to leave money to grandchildren often want to do something for their grandchild(ren) who have disabilities. They often worry about that they may need additional assets or assistance to lead a quality life. Grandparents are sometimes told not to leave their grandchild(ren) with disabilities anything because the grandchild(ren) may lose government benefits. People are often confused as to what to do or not to do.

Grandparents can leave money to their grandchild(ren) with special needs. There are very special ways to do it! Money has to be left in such a way so that government benefits are not lost. Assets in excess of $2,000 will cause the loss of certain government benefits for a person with a disability. 

Money should not be left to the grandchild directly, but should be left to a special needs trust. The special needs trust was developed to manage resources while maintaining the individual's eligibility for government benefits. The trust is maintained by a trustee on behalf of the person with special needs. The trustee has discretion to manage the money in the trust and decides how the money is used. The money must be used for supplemental purposes only. It should only supplement, or add to benefits (food, shelter or clothing) that the government already provides through Supplementary Security Income (SSI). It must not supplant or replace government benefits. If properly structured by a knowledgeable special needs attorney, the special needs trust assets will not count towards the $2,000 SSI limits for an individual.

Brief Summary of Do's and Don'ts!


1) Make provisions for your grandchild(ren) with special needs. Leave money to their special needs trust. The special needs trust is the only way to leave money without losing government benefits.

2) Coordinate all planning with the child's parents or other relatives. Notify the caregivers when you plan for grandchild(ren). Plan with others.

3) Leave life insurance, survivorship whole life policies and annuities to the individual's special needs trust. The special needs trust can be named as the policy beneficiary. When the insured or annuitant dies, the death benefit is paid to the special needs trust. The special needs trust then has a lump sum of money to be used in caring for the grandchild(ren).

4) Consult with trained financial and legal professionals with expertise in special needs estate planning.



1) Do not disinherit your grandchild(ren) who have a disability. Money can be now left to a properly drawn special needs trust. It does not make sense to disinherit these grandchild(ren).

2) Don't give money to your grandchild(ren) with a disability under UGMA or UTMA (Uniform Gift or Transfer To Minors Act). Money automatically belongs to the child(ren) upon reaching legal age. Government benefits can be lost!

3) Don't leave money to a grandchild with special needs through a will. Money left will be a countable asset of the individual - and may cause the loss of government benefits.

4) Don't leave money to a poorly set up trust. Money left in an improperly drafted trust can result in the loss of government benefits.

5) Do not leave money to relatives to "keep or hold" for the individual with special needs. The money can be attached to a lawsuit, divorce, liability claim or other judgment against the relative. 


Due to the complexity of federal and state laws, you may require specially trained professionals to help you plan for the future of persons with special needs. Call Special Needs Planner Gib Sloan at (804)592-5880 for a confidential consultation.

MetLife Center for Special Needs PlannerSM.

For more information about this and other related topics, visit our organization's web site at or call 1-877-638-3375.

MetLife does not provide tax or legal advice. We will work with you and your tax and legal advisers to help you select the most appropriate product solutions to suit your specific needs and circumstances.

Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, 200 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10166

L1110145292[exp1212][All States][DC,PR]

About the Expert: F. Gibbons Sloan

Production Manager
Financial Advisor
Registered Principal
Financial Representative

808 Moorefield Park Dr., Suite 102, Richmond, VA 23236
Phone: 804-592-5880
Fax: 804-592-5881


My goal is to provide families and business owners
with assistance in building their financial freedom. I have the skills, knowledge and experience required to help meet my client’s established goals. My personal goal is to become a lifetime resource for each and every client.


  • Special Needs Planner
  • Fixed Annuities
  • Variable Annuities
  • Charitable Giving Strategies
  • Disability Income Insurance
  • Estate Conservation Strategies
  • Education Funding Strategies
  • IRA Consolidation/Rollovers
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Mortgage Protection (through life insuranceand disability income insurance)
  • Medicare Supplement Coverage
  • Pension Payout Alternatives
  • Pension Transfer/Rollovers
  • Mutual Funds
  • Tax Sheltered Annuities, 403(b) Plans
  • Term Insurance
  • Universal Life Insurance
  • Variable Universal Life Insurance
  • Whole Life Insurance


  • Lifetime resident of Chester, Virginia
  • Family: Jennifer, Abigail & Tucker
  • Hobbies: Boating, Skiing


  • Lifetime resident of Richmond, VA
  • Family, married with 3 daughters
  • Hobbies: Gardening, Cooking, Reading and charity/volunteer work.


  • Member of NAIFA
  • Graduate of Wharton School of Business, Aresty Institute of Executive Education – Degree in “Wharton Retirement Planning Program”
  • Member of the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary – Flotilla 31
  • Member of the Country Club of Petersburg
  • Member of the Bull & Bear Club

I will work with you and your tax and legal advisers to help you select the most appropriate product solution to suit your specific needs and circumstances.  Some health insurance products offered by unaffiliated insurers through Enterprise General Insurance Agency, Inc.(EGA), Somerset, NJ  08873.  Metropolitan Life Insurance Company(MLIC), New York, NY 10166. Securities products offered through MetLife Securities, Inc. (MSI) (FINRA/SIPC). EGA, MLIC & MSI are MetLife companies. L0311167798[exp1112][VA]


Powered by Frankly