Survivor of deadly bus crash talks about terrifying ordeal

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -  New information on that deadly bus crash in Caroline County.  We've learned the driver, Kin Yiu Cheung, will appear in court Wednesday morning for an arraignment on a reckless driving charge.

Four women were killed when the motor-coach flipped on Interstate 95, near the Carmel Church exit.

54 other passengers were hurt. About half have been released from area hospitals.

Several others are in critical condition with spine and head injuries.

One of the survivors is talking about those terrifying moments.Despite a leg injury, the New Yorker, helped other passengers to safety.

Survivor, Ben Johnson, is dealing with a fractured leg, but that didn't stop him from helping others in far worse conditions.

Johnson is getting around as best he can. He's nursing a hairline fracture in his left calf.

Johnson couldn't find words for his feelings about the four women who didn't make it.

"I really don't know what, it's hard," said Johnson.

Johnson said he was awake, unlike many other passengers, when the driver, Kin Yiu Cheung, lost control.

"He was pretty much swerving using two lanes," said Johnson.

The New Yorker said the driver fell asleep at the wheel. The bus flipped on its roof.

"I grabbed the seat in front of me, which I was kind of hanging upside down," said Johnson.

When the bus settled, Johnson said he dropped down landing on other passengers. It was too dark to see the full picture but said he knew it was bad.

"You can hear them hollering so you just feel for who you can get your hand on," said Johnson.

Johnson, who celebrated his 47th birthday Monday, was visiting his sons in Raleigh, before boarding the bus for home.

He said the bus got off to a late start and the driver only stopped for coffee.

"He just fell asleep. He just fell asleep and caused four deaths by not just pulling over and resting trying to make up time," said Johnson.

The NTSB will review the driver's logs among other aspects.

"The vehicle to determine if there were any abnormalities," said NTSB board member Earl Weener.

A  tragedy, Johnson said that could have been avoided.

"I was just glad I was there to help," said Johnson.

The Red Cross provided food and lodging for eight families.  Johnson hopes to be back in New York sometime Wednesday.

The NTSB is expected to hold another news conference Wednesday with an update on its safety investigation which is separate from the state police criminal probe.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.