HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - More child sex crime charges against a former Christian youth worker. But now a Richmond prosecutor is taking on the case. Kenneth Mullens, Jr. was indicted Monday in Henrico on 11 counts of taking indecent liberties with three minors.
A special prosecutor was brought in from here in Richmond, to handle the case in Henrico circuit court. She tells me one of the three minors was involved in a previous case against Mullens.
A fresh prosecution against a 31-year-old man we first told you about late last year when a child sex crime charge landed Kenneth Mullens, Jr. in federal court. He was accused of taking a 17-year-old boy to Maryland for sex. That case was dismissed.
Just last month, five state indecent liberties charges were dropped in Henrico juvenile court.
Mullens was accused of sexually abusing two teenage boys. Now, Mullens is facing 11 counts of taking indecent liberties with a child while in a supervisory role.
Mullens, who worked for Landmark Christian School in Henrico and Christian Youth Theatre Richmond is accused of sexually abusing three minors between July 2005 and June 2010.
A source close to Mullens' family said the accusations are unsubstantiated and believes the charges will be dropped again.
The indictments were served Wednesday. Mullens was processed at the Henrico county jail, but released on personal recognizance bonds.
Henrico asked for a special prosecutor to handle the case. Mary Langer from the Richmond Commonwealth's Attorneys office is on the job.
Our legal expert said that happens when there's either a conflict of interest or a concern about the appearance of one.
Mullens' defense attorney tells me he plans to file a motion in the case on June 28th in Henrico circuit court but could not comment further.