RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A broken gas line in South Richmond forces hundreds of people out of their homes and businesses in the Manchester area.
Around 8:45 a.m. this morning, fire crews were called to the 300 block of Stockton Street to investigate a gas leak. Several streets were closed and an apartment complex was evacuated.
All this because contractors hit a gas line while working to put in a drive-way for a nearby business.
"We did some evacuations on a three story apartment building and three other businesses between 200 and 250 people were evacuated and the air quality was monitored to allow these people to come back in and the gas leak was shut off," said Lt. Shawn Jones of the Richmond Fire Department.
The fire department says no one was injured. We're told the contractor that caused the leak could be charged. The name of the contractor has not been released.