Teen saves brother in fire

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A 13-year-old girl is being called a hero after she saved herself and her 5-year-old brother from their burning Chesterfield home.

The two kids were home alone while their mother worked a night shift. Luckily there were neighbors close by for the kids to run to.

This is what's left of Audrey Jean's home. She's a single mom with 5 children.

"She wasn't here. She was at work. We had to call her to come," said 5-year-old Aiden Jean.

"I called her and told her the house was on fire. She was like, 'No!' I was like 'yeah, really, it's true,'" said Caroline Alther.

13-year-old Caroline and 5-year-old Aiden were home alone, together; in the back room watching TV at 1 a.m. Aiden was the first to notice the smoke.

"I got up to use the bathroom and get my sister a doughnut, and I saw some smoke. Then when I went out in the hallway I saw the fire," Aiden said.

By then, the fire took over and the kids were quickly trapped in the back room. The only option was to pull out the AC unit and escape through a small window. Caroline and her brother jumped out, down about 6 feet to the ground. She pushed her brother out the window to safety first.

"I was like, 'it's ok, just go out the window.' He was like 'ok.' Go to Caroline's house, it's our neighbor, right there," she said.

Their neighbor Caroline called 911.

"You gotta commend her. She's a hero. I told her that already, everybody has been telling her that. Very smart, very brave, got him out quickly, got him out safely," said neighbor Caroline Camper.

In the end this family lost almost everything.

"There's a lot of stuff in there, lost it all, like clothes and beds and everything," Caroline Alther said.

The Red Cross put the family up in a hotel for two days. Tonight's their last night and they still need a place to live...clothes, and school supplies. The cause of the fire? Fire officials say it was an electrical fire that started behind the sofa.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.