1. Make sure they have open visitations hour so you are welcome to visit any time you want.
2. Prioritize the following according to your family needs: quality of care, community atmosphere and amenities, and convenience of location.
3. When visiting an assisted community look for things such as the residents' overall appearance -- Do they appear well-kept and happy?
4. Is the staff friendly? What does the menu look like — lots of options? What types of activities are there for the residents to participate? Is there a high rate of staff turnover? What is the staff to resident ratio?
5. What is the education and experience of the staff? Are they staffed with Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Medication Technicians, Certified Nursing Assistants, Talk to the residents about their overall satisfaction with their living arrangement.
6. Check with the Department of Social Services Web site to check for inspection results.
7. Speak with your friends and family about their care choices and experiences.
8. The Hermitage is licensed by the Department of Social Services and the Virginia Health Department. Visit their websites.
9. Our warm, homey atmosphere is frequently cited as the first thing people notice about our community, along with our convenient neighborhood location. In the heart of Richmond's historic Ginter Park, The Hermitage is minutes away from the interstate, world-class shopping, and cultural activities.
WWBT-TV NBC 12
P.O. Box 12
On Your Side
Video and Pics