CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) – Maintenance workers called to check-out an extinguished kitchen fire made a startling discovery Saturday morning.
Just before 10:00 a.m., workers at the Regency Lake Apartments entered an apartment in the 6500 block of Planet Road.
Inside they found the remains of 32-year-old Shameka Shavette Robertson.
Firefighters say Robertson was found in the ruins of a kitchen heavily damaged by fire.
An initial investigation found that the fire was started by unattended items left on the stove-top.
Firefighters say Robertson's body was taken to the Medical Examiner's Office to determine the exact cause of death.