Two men plead guilty to violent carjacking in Richmond

By Rachel DePompa - bio | email | facebook
Posted by Phil Riggan – email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Two men pled guilty today for a violent carjacking in the Westover Hills neighborhood of Richmond. The victim was forced to stay in his car and ride all over the city with a sawed off shotgun pointed at his head.

It was 12:30 in the morning on December 3, 2010. The victim in this case just gotten home from work. When his car was surrounded by three men in ski masks wielding a sawed off shotgun. He was held captive for two and a half hours, beaten, his was life threatened, his family's life was threatened and at one point they put the shotgun in his mouth.

It happened in this neighborhood near the corner of 46th Street and Forest Hill. The victim was forced into the back of his own car by Ke'Shawn Hill, 18, Larry Burleigh, 24, and a juvenile.

They took him to two Wachovia Banks, including to one on Belt Boulevard. He withdrew a total of $500 from the ATMs.

By the time they got to a BB&T bank on Wamsley Boulevard, the victim had reached his maximum limit of withdraws for the day and couldn't get any money out, but the carjacking continued. They drove to a 7-11 on Broad Rock Boulevard.

Burleigh threatened the victim's life again and took him by gunpoint inside. Again, he couldn't get any money from an ATM.  They finally let him go near Martin Luther King Middle School in the Church Hill District.

After the whole ordeal, the victim walked all the way to the VCU Medical Center campus and called police on a call box. Police came and he gave them a description of his car.

Richmond and VCU police caught up with Hill and Burleigh later that morning after a police chase.

It wasn't the first time Burleigh had run from the cops. He smash his car in 2009 near the Chippenham Parkway in Chesterfield. Burleigh was arrested and sentenced to six months in jail for eluding police.

Burleigh and Hill pled guilty to carjacking and two counts of possession of a firearm during a violent crime. The plea agreement today did not include a deal on the sentence. Each man faces between 50 years and life in prison and will be sentenced in June.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.