Police seized knife, bloody clothes from Nelson

By Andy Jenks - bio | email | facebook

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) – Startling new court papers reveal how a future murder suspect talked his way through a Chesterfield traffic stop the morning of the killing.

Tuesday, Gregory Nelson, Jr., 27, waived extradition in Florida, meaning he'll soon be coming back to Virginia to face charges in last week's murder of Susana Cisneros, 24. The court papers, filed in North Carolina, outline what authorities say happened before Nelson went on the run.

During the pre-dawn hours, March 9, in which Susana Cisneros was found stabbed to death, Gregory Nelson, Jr., was pulled over for speeding near the intersection of Courthouse and Qualla Rds.

In a newly obtained affidavit, it is stated that Chesterfield Police noticed "significant blood" on Nelson's clothing. According to the document, Nelson "explained he was involved in a robbery in Richmond City, where he stabbed the suspect."

But Chesterfield Police couldn't confirm or deny his story at the time. According to the affidavit, they arranged for an officer to get him a new outfit from his nearby house, then seized the bloody clothing and a knife, "identified by Mr. Nelson as that which he used to fend off his attacker."

Nelson then went home, only to leave shortly thereafter and attempt to return home around 6:00 a.m., according to the document. But by then, he was a "person of interest" in Cisneros's death.

It is at that point, the papers reveal, that Chesterfield Police had a second crack at Nelson. Police tried to pull him over, but Nelson sped off, and following a  brief pursuit officers "lost sight of the vehicle".

From there, the affidavit reveals how Nelson criss-crossed the mid-Atlantic coast from Chesterfield, to an ATM in Prince William County, then down to a bank in Columbia, South Carolina, then up to a shopping center in Charlotte, where he left his car, and got on a bus headed toward Kissimmee, Florida.

Nelson, believed to be the father of Cisneros's unborn child, is married to another woman. According to the affidavit, he repeatedly told his wife he loved her, and that he planned to "turn himself in". But, on March 12, the U.S. Marshals in Florida got to him first.

Back in North Carolina, a search of Nelson's abandoned Toyota Camry turned up clothing, paper documents, photographs, and a Virginia driver's license.

Tuesday, Chesterfield police wouldn't comment on why Nelson was let go the morning of the traffic stop, even after he stated he stabbed somebody in a robbery. He was ticketed for reckless driving and possession of marijuana. According to Richmond Police crime summaries, no robberies were reported during the early morning hours of March 9.

Nelson remains in a Florida jail. It's not immediately unclear when he'll be brought back to Virginia to face the murder charge, but police estimate it could take at least a week.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.