HENRICO, VA (WWBT) – An off duty state trooper rescues an elderly Henrico couple from their burning home. Tonight, the couple speaks out about the fire and the man that saved their lives.
74-year-old Thomas Page and his wife Carmen have lived in the 1200 block of Wilderness Drive for more than 3 decades. It was just after five o'clock on Tuesday when Thomas was in the kitchen cooking. Carmen was upstairs in the bed. Without warning, Thomas says someone busted down his front door -- and with good reason.
"He said, 'Hey, hey, hey who's in here? You got to go! You got to go, it's on fire!'" said Thomas.
That someone was 30-year-old Nasir Sessoms. He's a neighbor and state trooper who was off duty and at home recovering from surgery.
"I tried to fight it but he said 'No, no, no. You got to get out of here,'" said Thomas.
Sessoms says he saw smoke and took action. A move the Pages call life saving.
"I want to thank him so much for busting down the door and helping us get out and thank God nobody was hurt," said Carmen Page.
The Pages say they had no idea their house was on fire.
"A lot of people had already called 911 to let them know there was a fire. We were the last to know," said Thomas.
The couple says they'd like to meet one-on-one with their hero so they can give him a hug and say thank you.
"He did what he had to do and he did it well," said Thomas.
For now, the Page family is picking up the pieces. They know the outcome could have been worse if it weren't for the brave actions of their neighbor, Trooper Sessoms.
The couple hopes to move back into their home within the next three months. For now, they're staying a hotel with the help of the Red Cross.
The family says the fire was accidental and was sparked by an electrical shortage.