Family mourns after woman dies in car crash

Sarah Brown. Source: Brown family
Sarah Brown. Source: Brown family

By: Laura Geller - bio | email

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - Police are still investigating a fatal crash in Chester that happened early Saturday morning. Around 4:00 a.m. a car ran off the road in the 4700 block of West Hundred Road. The driver, 23-year-old Sarah Brown, died at the scene.

Sarah's family says she knew people in the area and she may have been visiting them last night. They're still in shock after police knocked on their door bringing the worst possible news.

Her mom says she'll miss her middle daughter's smile, which could light up a room. Her older sister explains Sarah was a social butterfly and had friends everywhere though she isn't sure what her little sister was doing last night.

Witnesses say the dental assistant's car ran off the road, taking out a ten foot chunk of a utility pole. It then careened across this yard and into a tree. Lou Hawkins and his wife live just down the street from the curve where Sarah lost her life. He came out of his house and saw the mangled mess.

"I knew as soon as I'd seen the car that somebody had really gotten hurt," he said.

Police haven't said if speed, alcohol or some sort of medical emergency contributed to the wreck. Hawkins has lived here his whole life and explains drivers consistently lose control. Just two weeks earlier, we're told there was another accident on this stretch of the road.

The speed limit where Sarah crashed is 45; it quickly drops to 35. Several people we talked to say it'd be a miracle if drivers followed those laws.

"I think they should lower it a whole lot lower further down where they would slow before they'd really hit that curve," said Hawkins. "A lot of times it'll sneak up on them and they don't realize it."

Hawkins thinks unless something changes, another family will suffer.

"It's terrible when you see young people like that, losing their life," he said.

Dominion Virginia crews had to replace the power pole Sarah's car hit. It took several hours for crews to restore electricity and re-open the road.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.