UPDATE: Man dies after shooting in West End

By Gene Petriello - bio | email | facebook
Posted by Phil Riggan – email

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - Henrico County police are investigating a deadly shooting that turned into a hostage situation Monday morning. It ended at about 10 a.m.

It all unfolded at the Cardinal Forest Apartment Complex on Cardinal Drive, which is very close to Broad Street and Hungary Spring Road in the West End.

The hostage situation took the life of one person shot in the stomach. At least two kids and a mother escaped unharmed and now police are waiting for the suspect to talk to them to find out what unfolded here this morning.

Officers responded to the scene, established communications and immediately engaged in negotiations, according to police.  It was determined early that there were five individuals in the apartment -- the victim, the suspect, a woman and her two children ages 12 and 8.

After approximately 2 hours, the woman advised negotiators that the suspect was unconscious and that she along with the children were coming out.  Henrico Police SWAT team members escorted the family to awaiting ambulances.

The woman suffered from a non-life threatening assault. The suspect was located in a back bathroom unconscious due to an undetermined medical condition.  He was transported to VCU Medical Center where he was treated and released.

The victim of the shooting, Ryan Chhuom, 24 years of age, of Chesterfield died of a single gunshot wound the chest.

Antonio B. Farris, 33, of the 5800 block of Westover Drive in Richmond was arrested and charged with first degree murder and use of a firearm in commission of a felony.

Police said that around 7:30 a.m. this morning, one of the children in the apartment called 911 saying a man with a gun was inside the second floor apartment.

That suspect shot one man in the upper stomach and that victim eventually died. The suspect held two children, their mother and the victim inside the apartment.

Hostage negotiators worked to end the situation. Authorities said the suspect was unconscious at one point and that helped to end the tense situation.

The suspect is at vcu medical center. There is no word on his or her condition. Police say this is just the early stages of this complex investigation.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.