Pizza boxes in hot oven lead to gutted Midlothian home

By Melissa Correa - bio | email

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - Brush fires were not the only things keeping crews busy. In Chesterfield a cooking mishap destroyed a home.

This afternoon a fire sparked outside a house in the Deer Run neighborhood in the 7100 block of Chateaguay Lane.

Cardboard, set the destruction in motion. You see, this afternoon the homeowner was pre-heating his oven and he forgot there were pizza boxes inside. They caught fire. That's when the story takes a devastating turn!

It's a valentine's day these homeowners won't soon forget. Heartbreak - as they see their home now lacks a big chunk of its roof, and in the back their yard is charred.

Around 1:30 Monday afternoon - a cooking catastrophe when pizza boxes caught fire after the homeowner cranked on the oven. He tossed the boxes on the back porch hoping to put out the flames, but on this windy Monday the fiery problem quickly spread.

"To the back side of the house and into the house and in the attic. They had heavy fire conditions, fire coming through the roof," said Lt. Jason Elmore, Chesterfield Fire Department Spokesperson.

Some crispy shingles are still in tact, but warped. The fence that borders the property is now branded.

"We got a clear view into the backyard because part of the fence burned away," said Elmore. "We were concerned about the homes in the area. We wanted to make sure that it didn't spread to anywhere else. We did have a little bit of spread to some neighbors properties, but just some of the grass and leaves."

The homeowner called 911 then high-tailed it out of there, grabbing his six-month old baby and dog.

"Unfortunately the home will be a total loss," Elmore said.

With part of the neighborhood blocked off, 25 firefighters put the fire out within 30 minutes. The homeowners do have insurance. Tonight they're staying with family. Chesterfield firefighters, responded to more than 16 fires today.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.