CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) – Material burning in a barrel caused a fast-moving brush fire in Chesterfield. The blaze burned several acres and a home. The fire started Friday afternoon in the 19000 block of Church Road -- that's in the Matoaca area.
It's unclear who was burning that material that sparked the fire.
Seven acres were torched. The flames quickly spread to a house. The owner of the property calls it a total loss.
Joseph Walta was in the process of renovating the house.
"The exterior had been complete, side windows, roofing, the inside was done. We were getting ready to do some floors and sheet rock and pull away from here," said Walta.
Walta says the house was vacant and not livable.
To knock down the flames firefighters had to shuttle in water from a hydrant about a mile away. Crews say that did not cause a delay in putting out the fire.
"We did a good job of having tankers that have over 2000 gallons of water on each side," said Lt. Jason Elmore.
Units from several localities responded. The Department of Forestry brought in its bulldozer.
"We plowed a line around the fire through the woods to keep it from spreading further into the woods," said Richard Reuse with the Department of Forestry.
Walta was planning on breeding horses on this property.
"I'm just at a loss at this point. I don't know what to do -- just get everybody paid and then get the bulldozer here on the property and start new construction I guess," Walta said.