Woman loses almost everything in Church Hill house fire

By Gene Petriello - bio | email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - An overnight house fire is under investigation. In the meantime, a woman who just moved into that home, is now left with basically nothing.

The fire started around 2:45 Monday morning in a home in the 1500 block of Spotsylvania Street in North Church Hill.

On Tuesday, fire investigators announced that they determined the fire was accidental in nature. Two potential causes were; space heater too close to combustibles or either an overloaded electrical outlet.

It was reported by a neighbor. When fire crews arrived, they say, flames were shooting from the roof, which collapsed.

Our camera caught some raw emotion, just moments after Annitta Bullock walked up to her home and found -- siding melted, charred wood, black soot and half of her roof, gone.

"I have nothing. Basically, nothing," says Bullock.

Luckily, she wasn't sleeping here last night when the fire started around 2:45. Fire crews say flames were shooting through the now charred roof. A power line fell on the house near the fire. In all, it took 30 minutes to get things under control.

She was at that friends house because she says people recently have been trying to break in through a window on the side of the house.

We checked with Richmond PD and there were two burglaries reported here at Annitta's new home in the past few years.

"I haven't even put things into where they need to go. You can see my lawn chairs just sitting outside," adds Bullock.

She was in the process of moving in. She just started to rent this home about two months ago. It's been a struggle to get here. Now all her hard work, goes up in flames.

Her family was there for support. "That's my big sister. No matter what. I could be in Timbuktu, she's going to come rescue me. I love her."

Now, Annitta will rely on that love, as she tries to get back up on her feet again.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.