UPDATE: Chesterfield apartment fire caused by kitchen fire

By Gene Petriello - bio | email

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - Firefighters are busy after another Chesterfield apartment complex goes up in flames.

Chesterfield fire investigators say someone left something on the stove last night and fell asleep. That is what caught fire in the apartment building at Squire Hill Court apartments. The fire has been ruled an unintentional fire.

Crews were still on scene putting out hot spots early this morning. This is all happening in the 3900 block of Chippendale Drive. That's near Chippenham and Belmont.

The fire started around 1:30 this morning. We're told there was a lot of fire coming from the building when firefighters first got here.

Crews were able to get it under control within an hour. No one was injured.

Luckily for firefighters, the apartment complex had fire walls so it helped contain the fire.

We were able to find home video from Tatiana Montesino. She lives in one of the apartments underneath the fire. She says her home is completely gone.

"All I have is my cell phone. My 3-year-old doesn't even have his shoes. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's sad," she said.

She was able to get out of her home, unharmed along with her husband and her son. "It's kind of sad because he doesn't know. When he woke up, he was like, 'What happened mommy'? I said, 'Oh, we don't have anything now.'"

The Red Cross is helping those affected by the fire. For those who will not be able to get back into their homes, the apartment complex is helping to move them into other vacant apartments.

We're told the complex building will be rebuilt and renovated soon. There is no estimate on how much cost damage has been sustained to the building.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.