Councilwoman wants metal detectors at City Hall - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Councilwoman wants metal detectors at City Hall

By Ben Garbarek - bio | email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - The tragedies in Tucson have many people rethinking security. One Richmond council member is calling for new measures to beef up security at public meetings here. 

There used to be metal detectors in City Hall and Councilwoman Reva Trammell wants to bring them back. She says there needs to be more security to prevent a shooting like the one in Tucson.

"We need to look at it," she said. "Not only for the safety of us because we don't have protection like the mayor does. We don't have that here or outside the building."

We talked with some people running errands inside City Hall. Some say the tragedies in Tucson show the need for metal detectors while others think that's going too far.

"You got a lot of people going to council meetings and you don't know the state of mind people are in and how they feel about city government sometimes," said Ronald Lott. "Just like in Tucson, this guy snapped. We'd rather be safe than sorry."

Van Shelton works in City Hall. She says more security is needed but only to a certain point.

"I'm not sure metal detectors are necessary," she said. "They'll probably make you have to check your pocketbooks and that kind of stuff."

Councilman Bruce Tyler says he keeps a watchful eye when out in public. He's afraid where there's a will, there's a way when it comes to security at public meetings.

"If someone wants to bring something in here, they're going to do it," he said. "There's a problem with everything and a way around it. As much as I appreciate the thought, it may be overkill."

Trammell also tossed out the idea of moving the police officers assigned to council meetings. Often these officers sit in the back of the council chambers.

Trammell thinks they'd have a better vantage point sitting in the front of the room.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

  • Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

  • Better late than never? Library book returned 78 years later

    Better late than never? Library book returned 78 years later

    Thursday, September 21 2017 7:51 PM EDT2017-09-21 23:51:20 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 1:19 PM EDT2017-09-23 17:19:48 GMT

    A book borrowed nearly 80 years ago during the Great Depression has been returned to a Massachusetts public library.

    More >>

    A book borrowed nearly 80 years ago during the Great Depression has been returned to a Massachusetts public library.

    More >>
  • Federal government notifies 21 states of election hacking

    Federal government notifies 21 states of election hacking

    Friday, September 22 2017 5:16 PM EDT2017-09-22 21:16:26 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 12:38 PM EDT2017-09-23 16:38:13 GMT
    The federal government is telling election officials in 21 states that hackers targeted their systems last year, although in most cases the systems were not breached.More >>
    The federal government is telling election officials in 21 states that hackers targeted their systems last year, although in most cases the systems were not breached.More >>
  • Disputanta couple severely injured in house fire

    Disputanta couple severely injured in house fire

    Saturday, September 23 2017 12:04 PM EDT2017-09-23 16:04:42 GMT
    A couple is recovering in the hospital, after being seriously hurt in a house fire in Disputanta. Crews got the call around 1:45 a.m. Saturday. When they got to the home in the 13000 block of Arwood Road, the two residents were outside, after managing to escape the flames. Prince George Fire officials say the couple suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation, and were transported to VCU Medical Center. Firefighters say they were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Investigators...More >>
    A couple is recovering in the hospital, after being seriously hurt in a house fire in Disputanta. Crews got the call around 1:45 a.m. Saturday. When they got to the home in the 13000 block of Arwood Road, the two residents were outside, after managing to escape the flames. Prince George Fire officials say the couple suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation, and were transported to VCU Medical Center. Firefighters say they were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Investigators...More >>
Powered by Frankly