Heroic rescue saves lives in Henrico - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Heroic rescue saves lives in Henrico

  • Related LinksMore>>

  • Henrico fire victims speak out

    Henrico fire victims speak out

    Fire took many of their precious mementos, but not the most precious thing of all - each other.
    That's the reaction Monday from an elderly couple after a fire at their Henrico home two weeks ago. A heroic neighbor pulled the wife to safety and now the couple said they're just happy to be alive.
    More >>

By Evrod Cassimy - bio | email
Posted by Terry Alexander - email

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) – We're hearing more from the heroes who saved an elderly couple whose house caught fire early this morning. It happened around 8:30 on the 400 block of Fayette Avenue in Henrico County. One of the residents had to be pulled to safety from the burning home. 

The neighbors on Fayette Avenue all point to two people credited for saving a couple from their burning home. Calvin Green was there when the fire broke out and rushed to pull his neighbor to safety. 

"I just grabbed this (piece of metal) and I started banging! Just knocking all the window out!" said Green. 

Green saw the home on fire and rushed to pull the 90-year-old woman inside through a window. 

"And I told her come to me! Come to me! And when she got close enough to me where I could get my hands to her I just reached in, I grabbed her and scraped all the glass to make sure she didn't get cut," he said. 

In front of the house another neighbor had to keep the husband from going back in. 

"I ran over and got him to show me where the hose was and turned the water hose on and tried to get the fire out," said Harvey Jones. 

Neighbors and the heroes that saved the couple inside are just thankful they were able to make it out alive. 

"I consider him a hero," said one neighbor. 

Today neighbors are praising these two men for their quick thinking and actions. Most of them were woken up when they saw the home on fire. 

"If it wasn't for him it could have been deadly today," said eyewitness David Shaw. 

"I don't consider myself a hero but I thank God I was here and I was able to help," said Green. "I would want someone to do the same for me." 

While Green and Jones are not taking credit for saving the woman's life, this tight knit community is proud to live among them. The man and woman are suffering from burns and smoke inhalation but they are expected to be okay. 

Neighbors tell us that there was a working smoke detector inside of this home. The cause of the fire has been determined to be electrical. We're told the man had burns to his head and back. The home is condemned but neighbors tell us the couple does have a place to stay. 

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly