Posted by Shawn Maclauchlan
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Family and friends will gather Thursday to remember a teenager killed in a house fire in Richmond.
Jessica Harvey and her father, 49-year-old James Harvey Jr. died in the fire on Guthrie Avenue.
Investigators say the dad was using a blow dryer to keep his feet warm overnight. That dryer caught the mattress on fire.
Harvey and his daughter tried to get the burning mattress out of the house, but it became stuck in the stairwell, preventing them from escaping.
The teen's twin sister made it out alive.
Harvey's 76-year-old mother was rescued and taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The family's dog also died in the fire.
The vigil is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Freeman High School, where Jessica was a sophomore.
They're asking for people to bring their own candles and wear pink, Jessica's favorite color.