Woman pulled from burning home by fire crews - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Woman pulled from burning home by fire crews

By Gene Petriello - bio | email

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - An early morning house fire in Chesterfield has left one person fighting for her life. Now, crews are looking into the possible cause of the fire.

The fire occurred at 1425 Oldbury Road around 3:50 a.m. Thursday morning.

Firefighters had to rescue the woman from a bedroom she was trapped in. She was taken to VCU Medical Center, barely breathing when rescued, in serious condition.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

A dog was also rescued from the house and taken to the vet. We're told that dog is doing okay at this hour and is under 24 hours of monitoring.

The woman who was inside the home called 911 when the fire started, from the back bedroom. She ended up making her way to a front room, but couldn't get out. When fire crews arrived, they found the victim in that front room and pulled her out the front door. Then, they sent her off to the hospital.

In the cold and dark of night, fire crews battled not only the fire. But, the flames to get to the woman trapped inside, as well. 

Friend Lindsay Estes saw it all unfold just a few doors down. "I was just shocked. I hope she's okay. I hope she's okay. I hope she's okay!"

Hours later, as fire crews sifted through the charred mess, Lindsay heard from the family at the hospital.  "We just heard she is okay. But, at first, we were like uhhh -- we didn't know. You know, your head is clogged at that time."

Fire crews say they found a smoke detector, but did not hear it going off when they arrived.

Some of the firefighters at the scene this morning also worked the deadly house fire last week that killed a mother and her 12 year old son.

Today they were able to pull the victim out -- alive. "At that point, adrenaline takes over. That's what we train for on a daily basis, to save lives and property. They had this opportunity this morning and they made the best of it," says Lt. Jason Elmore with Chesterfield Fire and EMS.

Now, Lindsay made sure her home is ready in case the rash of recent fires hits her home. "We were just saying there's been a lot of fires in Chesterfield this year. Then, look. It's crazy."

The woman's two sons who normally stay at the home -- were not there last night.

We've also learned from Lindsay the heater in the home broke and two space heaters were being used.

The fire has been ruled accidental, but the specific cause has not yet been named. Fire investigators have determined the fire started in the family room. 

Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly