UPDATE: Teen accused of DUI crash, knocking out power

Cody Haynie. Source: Henrico Police
Cody Haynie. Source: Henrico Police

By: Laura Geller - bio | email

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - Traffic is finally back to normal in Henrico's West End after an overnight accident caused by an underage alleged drunk driver.

Police say 18-year old Cody Haynie was drunk and lost control of his SUV. A magistrate issued a $1,500 bond to get Haynie out of jail. He was expected to be arraigned in a Henrico court Monday morninng, but it was continued until Dec. 17.

Power and cable were knocked out to homes and businesses near the intersection of Waldo Lane and Hermitage Road. It took crews more than 10 hours to get everything back online.

A path of destruction weaves down the grass along Hermitage road. Skid marks rip into the dirt, a stop sign knocked to the ground, a power pole is rendered useless and a dumpster now left with the scars of an accident that occurred around midnight.

The ruckus shook the Mullens family from sleep. They live three houses down from the crash site.

"I completely woke up and had no idea what was going on," said Michael Mullens. "I think what we heard was the car hitting the dumpster it was just a loud thunderous boom."

The driver, an 18-year old Mechanicsville man, is charged with illegal possession of alcohol and driving under the influence in a crash. Police say he's also responsible for an outage that affected about 1,500 customers; customers that had blasted the heat on a night when the temperature dipped below freezing.

Down the street, a nursing home also lost power. Luckily though they had a backup system so there weren't any problems for residents. The temperature inside the Mullens' home dropped into the 50s.

"With it being this cold outside it was a pretty uncomfortable night," he said. "It was probably one of the worst nights it could have happened."

Haynie was not seriously hurt in the crash, but Mullens says he needs to face the consequences.

"If it was an accident of some sort that would have been different but something that could have been prevented," Mullens said. "To put this many people out for so long without electricity and everything due to one person's mistake, that's kind of annoying."

Power was finally fully restored by 11:00 a.m.

Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.