Chesterfield fire caused by overloaded extension cord - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Chesterfield fire caused by overloaded extension cord

Press release from Chesterfield County Department of Public Affairs

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded at 12:45 a.m. today to a residential structure fire at 4024 River Road. A call was received from an occupant notifying authorities that the house was on fire and that all occupants had escaped uninjured. The fire caused extensive damage to one bedroom and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

The Chesterfield County Fire Marshal's Office has determined the fire was accidental and was caused by an overloaded electrical extension cord being used to power a radiant space heater. Five occupants were displaced from the home and are being assisted by the Red Cross. To avoid overloading an extension cord, Chesterfield County Fire and EMS recommends plugging any type of electrical space heater directly into a wall outlet that is capable of handling the recommended electrical needs of the heater.

Powered by Frankly