Witnesses describe cyclist accident

By: Laura Geller - bio | email

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - We are learning new information about the man killed in a bicycling accident in Henrico County.

58-year-old Tony Hunt died at VCU Medical Center after he was thrown off his bike and into a traffic light pole Saturday at the intersection of Hilliard and Staples Mill Roads.

Tony Hunt's family tells me he rode his ten speed bicycle frequently.

The accident, which claimed his life, occurred just about three miles from his Henrico home.

While we are still waiting for an official autopsy report, a family member says she was told Hunt had a medical emergency before crashing.

A witness to the accident Mary Perkins-Anderson says she can't get the scene out of her head.

"Underneath the sign where it says Glenside Drive and Hilliard, that's where they had the man," she said.

Perkins-Anderson and her co-worker Al Doggett heard the sirens and saw the flashing lights from inside Shoney's across the street.

"Me and this other person came outside to see if there was anything we may be able to do to help and the EMS had already taken over by the time we got outside," he said.

Investigators are still looking into what happened to the 58-year old while he was riding that could have started this tragic sequence of events around 10:00 Saturday morning police say Hunt was riding down a hill on Hilliard toward Staples Mill but when he went to make a sharp left hand turn, he lost control they say the bike hit the curb and he went flying into a traffic light pole.

When he landed, he hit the back of his head on the ground and suffered severe head injuries.

Sunday, police could not say whether or not the Henrico man was wearing a helmet.

"They did try for a long, long time to save him," said Perkins-Anderson.

But to no avail, he was taken to VCU Medical Center where he later died.

"It was just extremely sad when I was watching them do the CPR because I knew there was somebody laying there and they were dying right in front on me and I had never seen anything like that before," said Perkins-Anderson.

Again, we are still awaiting an official cause of death.

Hunt's family was too distraught to speak with us on camera Sunday.

Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.